Parkinson Family

Parkinson Family
May 2010

Friday, June 25, 2010

Maybe Soccer Isn't My Thing

So Tuesday night a group of friends and I got together to play a "friendly" match of Soccer. It was all fun and games until I collided with another guy. It looked a little something like this:


I tried to be tough so after falling flat on my back, having my glasses fall off and feeling really really lightheaded and woozy, I got right back up and watched from the sidelines. I had a slight headache but thats to be expected from hitting someone head on.

After the game, I noticed work had called me and needed an extra nurse for the night. I hadn't been getting many hours so I decided to help them out. So instead of going home to sleep I went to work for another 7 hours. It was probably a good thing in the end, well maybe. While at work, my headache increased in pain, my vision just felt funny but not seeing double or anything. My eyes were dilating. I thought well maybe I have a concussion. I thought I'd wait it out and see how I felt when my shift was over. Shift change came and I was not feeling any better. So I decided to ask a couple nurses to assess me and determine if I should be seen in the Emergency Room. I ended up with one of these a few minutes later:

Yup I was now a patient and the worst part was all my co-workers were the one's doing my triage paperwork and starting my IV.

I was also having some neck pain so they decided to do a CT scan of both my brain and neck. Turns out there were no masses or bleeds on my brain. My neck showed a muscle spasm that caused my head to be rotated slightly as a result. Nothing major but I did have a concussion. So its a good thing I did get checked out.

They gave me some Zofran for nausea, Ativan for anxiety (I hate being a patient), and Morphine for pain. Two hours later they sent me home with some Percocet and a Doctor's note for no work the rest of the week. I have pretty much slept the entire last two days but I am feeling much much better. My headache is only slightly there. I can actually turn my head without being in pain although the one side of my neck still has a spasm but its better than both sides. I don't think I'll be playing soccer anytime soon....

1 comment:

  1. Remind me not to be seen in the ER if I end up with a hairy arm afterward...that would be worse than the concussion!

    ReplyDelete